Saturday, July 16, 2011

School for Sacred Art

I just got back from the Church Teaches Forum today (where I heard preach such persons as Cardinal Arinze and Cardinal Burke), and while I was there a seminarian friend of mine handed me some information on this sacred art program in Florence. I would LOVE to do a program like this someday! So much! Sigh.... maybe someday. Florence would be the perfect place. I was only there a short time last year, and I know I benefited from that much alone. I can't imagine what it would be like to actually study there.
   Hmmm... I just got back, and I am rather car sick, and so yeah, that's my excuse for not having a new drawing on here for you. But, speaking of Florence, how about I post the quick sketch I did in front of Michelangelo's David? I think that's a good idea- one of the highlights of Europe, and maybe my life.

There it is! I drew from a master just like the masters did themselves!
   I have to say, Michelangelo intimidates me- I hear he was intolerant of slacker artists.... and man, he practiced what he preached! I cannot even fathom how one artist can do so much in a life time, and they didn't live as long back then. Another reason is that he loved sculpture and did it well. He considered it a higher form of art than painting. Well, I have yet to tackle sculpture at all, and so the sound of it sounds big and unattainable. I do hope to tackle it someday. Maybe in Florence.... or Ireland.
    I also hear he destroyed his anatomy studies so no one would discover his secrets. I may be wrong about that, but that sounds like something he'd do.
     Quote time. Hmmm.....

If in my youth I had realized that the sustaining splendour of beauty of with which I was in love would one day flood back into my heart, there to ignite a flame that would torture me without end, how gladly would I have put out the light in my eyes. -Michelangelo

And....



"The liberating encounter with forgiveness can be experienced even by a wounded heart, thanks to the healing power of God, who is Love." - *Blessed*Pope John Paul II

No comments:

Post a Comment