Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Happy 200th Charles Dickens!

Today is Mr. Dickens 200th birthday! I do so love him! If only I had been aware of this coming.... I could have drawn a bit of something for him. As it is, I only found out about it through Facebook, as I do so many things these days.
Young Charles Dickens
I absolutely love him! I haven't actually finished THAT many of his rather long novels. But none the less, I find his writing to be almost soothing. He creates such characters! Such touching situations.

Who better to discuss Charles Dickens than Chesterton? I happen to have the book Chesterton wrote about Dickens (it was being discarded at the local library. What!? Oh well. At least I have it now), however, I regret to say I have not read it yet. But, I will fix that soon.

‎"The full value of this life can only be got by fighting; the violent take it by storm. And if we have accepted everything we have missed something -- war. This life of ours is a very enjoyable fight, but a very miserable truce." ~GKC: 'Charles Dickens'

I also recommend this link. I am especially fond of that last longer quote in the article, 
it is one of my favorite quotes of all time. 

Here are some quotes by Mr. Dickens himself:

“There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.” 

“Have a heart that never hardens, and a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts.” 

“Never close your lips to those whom you have already opened your heart.” 

“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” 

“Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts. I was better after I had cried, than before--more sorry, more aware of my own ingratitude, more gentle.”

“Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but - I hope - into a better shape.”

“Every traveler has a home of his own, and he learns to appreciate it the more from his wandering.” 

“Family not only need to consist of merely those whom we share blood, but also for those whom we'd give blood.”

..... I could go on. And on. And on. But, maybe instead of that, you should just read him. 

1 comment:

  1. Great Quotes! I think I'm gonna steal the one about Friends and Chocolate.... tehe.

    ReplyDelete